Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Abdul Rahman

What follows is a letter that I sent to our Prime Minster and local MP this morning.

Dear Sir,

It has been brought to my attention that Afgan man, Abdul Rahman, is facing the death penalty for apostasy - converting from Islam to Christianity. Abandoning the muslim faith is against all schools of shari'a law and Afganistan's 2004 constitution supports this, stating that “no law can be contrary to the beliefs and provisions of the sacred religion of Islam” (Article 3). However, the constitution’s preamble affirms that the people of Afghanistan will respect the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which in Article 18 guarantees the freedom to change one’s religion.


Surely in 2006 we cannot allow this man to be killed for converting from Islam. Islam is a religion which is very active in making converts, however, it seems that this is a one way street in which people may enter the Islamic faith but never leave it.

Mr Swan, can I ask you to take up the cause of Muslims who choose to embrace another faith? The death sentence for apostasy is part of mainstream Islam and has been since the seventh century. An outpouring of indignation and protest on this issue from those who enjoy religious liberty in the West is long overdue.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours ...

I think this is a very important issue and urge you to become involved. For more information on Abdul Rahman, click here.

3 Comments:

At 5:44 pm, Blogger Simone R. said...

Sorry Dave, it doesn't seem to be there. I got the info through a barnabus fund email newsletter - I just assumed it would be on their website. I'll forward the email onto you.

 
At 9:04 am, Blogger Cath said...

Simone - Could you forward the email to me as well? Or put it on the blog?

 
At 1:06 pm, Blogger Simone R. said...

I just had a call from Wayne Swan's office. The man I spoke to agreed that this is an appalling situation and told me that he had passed the message on to Kevin Rudd. Nice to be listened to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home