Friday, March 17, 2006

Pet Peeve #2 : Lurking

I've had this term brought to my attention lately. Lurking. Doesn't sound nice, does it? Like some kind of perversion. But I'm a lurker. Everyday I lurk around my favourite blogs (my favourite is here) eavesdropping on other people's lives.

What does this say about me? Do I have a problem? Do I need counselling? Should I repent? Should I just get a life of my own?

I thought it was a fairly innocent activity until I heard the term. Now I wonder.

Does anyone else have a problem with lurking?

I haven't decided to give it up yet, so if you have any links for interesting places to lurk I'd love to hear of them.

2 Comments:

At 9:19 pm, Blogger Petrina said...

Coming out of lurkdom to answer this post... :p

I am a serial lurker. I've been lurking in many various corners of the net for close to 10 years now, and there's no signs of me stopping. I figure that if people post their opinions on the net, they're asking people to take a look.

That said, I guess it's much more exciting for the author to get people responding rather than just reading & moving on, which is mostly why I've surfaced to reply to this.

 
At 4:18 pm, Blogger Kees said...

I remember newsgroups, even still use them at times, but I have to say I prefer mailing list, as I just get the posts as emails. I don't really lurk at blogs, but I have got the habit to lurk at the Flickr Engrish Group, mainly because I sometimes can do with a good laugh (at other peoples expence). But I think that everyone who seriously uses the internet lurks somewhere for whatever reason.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home