Sunday, April 02, 2006

Are hymns poetry?

I read an essay by Andy Judd last night titled Can Hymns Be Great Poetry? It's a little technical in spots, but overall a good read. To summarise, Andy argues against Samuel Johnson's view

According to Samuel Johnson, hymns cannot be poetry of any calibre. For him there is an irreconcilable conflict between the “essence” of poetry which is invention (“something unexpected [which] surprises and delights”) and the “paucity” of religious devotional topics which “enforces perpetual repetition” and “rejects ornaments of figurative diction”. He allows the best hymnists only that they have “done better than others what no man has done well”.

holding that hymns can fulfil all the requirements of 'poetry' and that whether or not a text is poetry ultimately comes down to the value that culture places on it.

If I had to sign on the line, I'd probably agree with Judd - hymns can be poetry. But I don't think that they often are. Mostly they are just verse. I love hymns but I think that on the whole it's formula writing - a bit like mills and boon romances or crime novels. Occasionally a hymn writer will write something that steps over the line and is poetry - but this is rare. Perhaps as rare as a paperback novel being literature.

What do you think? What hymns do you think have stepped over the line and are poetry?

2 Comments:

At 12:26 pm, Blogger Simone R. said...

Samuel Johnson was the major literary theorist and writer of the 18th Century. Perhaps best known for writing the english dictionary. A contemporary of Charles Wesley. Christian.

Dave, dave, dave.... Would I blast your favourite hymn?

 
At 10:19 am, Blogger Cath said...

I would agree with Simone. I think there is no reason why hymns can't be poetry; but they seldom are. The other issue, is I think there may be a misunderstuding in our culture about what 'poetry' really is. If, in fact, poetry is 'invention'(“something unexpected [which] surprises and delights”) then by this definition I would say that a hymn such has Amazing Grace could well fit with this description and thus be considered poetry - even if you don't LIKE the poetry...
[am I making sense? I'm on holidays so my brain is not really working very well ;)]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home